Whistle help

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
HunsWhistler

Whistle help

Post by HunsWhistler »

I need some help with my Tin Whistle and I was told this was the place to go.

I got my D Tin Whistle about two months ago, I was really happy cause I had wanted one for a long time. The first couple days were great. I started learning some songs and figuring out things and getting a feel for the instrument. But then, a couple days later, It started acting weird. Any time I went above the second octave D, there would be a sound of air whooshing through the other finger holes that overpowers and Dillutes the tone. I've been trying to get help with this for about a month. I''ve taken some suggestions from people but nothing's worked. I've tried cleaning it out with Pipe cleaners, I've tried running it through with hot water, I've tried going back and re-evaluating my Technique so I'm only covering the holes with the pads of the fingers, Nothing has worked! I really just want to get through this and have fun with my Tin Whistle but it's really a hindrance having that annoying air sound coming through the whistle up high.
Can anyone who has had this happen to them share any advice?
Swing a little more on the Devil's Dance Floor!
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

What brand of whistle is it? You cleaned it, and did you look in the windway of the fipple to see if there was any small bits of plastic left from the maker?
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Are you saying that during the first two days, when things were great, you were hitting the notes in the 2nd register, the ones above the second octave D, without a problem? Or is it when you started playing the notes in the 2nd register that the problems started? I'm not quite clear on that.

My higher notes do seem breathier and sometimes I've heard tones in the lower register in them. But I don't think I would have described the problem as being as bad as you are describing it except when I was first learning how to get the high notes---then it was terrible.

I do things inside my mouth to try to get the best sound I can. If you try whistling a tune with your lips, you'll notice how you are doing all sorts of things inside your mouth, with your throat, and with your lips to change the pitch. Well, you sort of need to do that with the whistle. You just keep trying to get that air stream right to get the best on-pitch tone. And what you do with your mouth changes, just as it does when you are whistling a tune. This gets to be instinctive, so it is no bigger a deal than whistling with your lips. But on the high notes, don't think "blow harder" so much as "concentrate the air stream". And then mimic going from a low note to a high note when you are whistling with your lips.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
HunsWhistler

Post by HunsWhistler »

It is a Guinness Aluminum Black Wistle I got at Raglan's Road Irish Pub at Downtown Disney, Walt Disney World. I could play the same High notes the first couple of days that I'm having trouble with without any trouble. It was a very standard clear whistle tone. then, something happened that made the tone get how I described. I apologize for this, since I am posting on a board called Chiff & Fipple but I do not know what the Fipple is. Like, I said, I'm a beginner with no one coaching, training or teaching me. It might just be that I need to get a new whistle, perhaps a better one. I don't know, that's why I came here. I appreciate the comments and more would also be appreciated.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Okay, if you could play the high notes fine for a couple of days---most people aren't able to play the high notes right away---then my answer above will not help. If you can't see any particles partially blocking the area where you blow, I just don't know what else to suggest. If it played perfectly fine for two days, then, other than something getting into the mouthpiece area and partially blocking the air flow, I just can't imagine what it could be.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The fipple is the place where you blow into it. Look in there and see if there is anything that should not be there. If there is anything there it will deflect the air and cause an unwanted sound. Also look very closely at the whole fipple and see if there are any cracks. Cracks will let air leak and cause unwanted sounds. When you play hold the fipple in your mouth so that your lip will not be in the way of the rectangle hole that you are blowing in.

After all that be sure you are trying to go from the first octave to the second, and not starting in the second trying to go to the third. There are not very many whistles that will play a whole third octave. Cover all six holes and blow as soft as you can and bring that note up to a good tone.
That should help you find the first octave.

Happy Holidays :)
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

There could be a dent in the Whislte which would probably do something like this. A crack is also possible in the head piece. Try sharpening the blade a bit but very little. Check for plastic in the wind way which is pretty common for that make (and the Little Black Whistles). If none of that is the problem or works to fix it I don't know what the problem is. It coule be that you only thought it sounded fine and didn't really notice until you started playing more, I have done stuff like that.
HunsWhistler

Post by HunsWhistler »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. But, since everything you've suggested or mentioned hasn't been the problem, I've come to the conclusion that the problem is me. I don't like the sound of this particular whistle and am going to search for a new one that better suits me and what I want to play. Thank you anyway, I'm glad I ruled out all possibilities before coming to this one.
HunsWhistler

Post by HunsWhistler »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. But, since everything you've suggested or mentioned hasn't been the problem, I've come to the conclusion that the problem is me. I don't like the sound of this particular whistle and am going to search for a new one that better suits me and what I want to play. Thank you anyway, I'm glad I ruled out all possibilities before coming to this one.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Before you run out and buy another whistle. Try tweaking the one you have. The directions are over on the Main page C&F. Amounts to removing the fipple and putting some sticky tac in the cavity under the wind way. It will change the rattles squeeeeeks, squaaks and other unwanted sound into music. If you need help we are here.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Also, I have a good amount of experience with the Wlaton's Little Black Whistle which is the same as the Guinness model only a different color head. Not trying to brag or any thing but I am saying I know my stuff when it comes to that Whistle.