Music Stores in the Edinburgh area ...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Colin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Music Stores in the Edinburgh area ...

Post by Colin »

Despite being a native I am rather long removed from Auld Reekie and am not current on the city music scene. Do any of you in the Edinburgh
area know stores that stock good selections of whistles? I know Blackfriars store off the Royal Mile should carry some but that's about all.
Any recommendations would be welcome (as long as they are legal and don't involve sheep).

Thanks,

Colin
Linnhe

Music stores in the Edinburgh area...

Post by Linnhe »

The short answer would be "No", sadly. Scayles Music on West Crosscauseway used to carry some exotic (and expensive) whistles but last month, there was just a selection of Generations, Feadogs and Chieftains of all sizes. It's a while since I was in Blackfriars but I don't remember being overwhelmed with the number of whistles available. Rae Macintosh on Queensferry Street is the only place I have ever seen an Oak, and today there was also a Merlin low D. Simpsons on Stafford Street has Chieftains etc (look under "Folk Instruments"), and Varsity Music on the South Bridge has cheapies.

For those who don't get a nosebleed every time they venture further west than the castle, Glasgow's Folk Revolution carries lots of brands (must pay them a visit sometime...)
Colin

Re: Music stores in the Edinburgh area...

Post by Colin »

Linnhe wrote:The short answer would be "No", sadly. Scayles Music on West Crosscauseway used to carry some exotic (and expensive) whistles but last month, there was just a selection of Generations, Feadogs and Chieftains of all sizes. It's a while since I was in Blackfriars but I don't remember being overwhelmed with the number of whistles available. Rae Macintosh on Queensferry Street is the only place I have ever seen an Oak, and today there was also a Merlin low D. Simpsons on Stafford Street has Chieftains etc (look under "Folk Instruments"), and Varsity Music on the South Bridge has cheapies.

For those who don't get a nosebleed every time they venture further west than the castle, Glasgow's Folk Revolution carries lots of brands (must pay them a visit sometime...)
Linnhe,
thanks for the inofrmation. Looks like a trip to Weegieland
might be on the cards ...

Colin
sweet potato
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am here to change my password and also to see what the market may look like should I decide to sell my lovely Sam Murray flute.

Post by sweet potato »

Linnhe,

Thanks for the information. I will be moving Sunday to Glasgow from the US for 5 months, and I will be sure to check out Folk Revolution. Any other recommendations? I have been looking at some traditional music events in the country as well.

Thanks very much,

Laura
BigDavy

Music in Scotland

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Sweet Potato

For trad music info try here

http://www.tmsa.org.uk/

For music in the Glasgow Area try

http://www.gigguide.co.uk/glasfolk.htm

Welcome to Scotland.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
sweet potato
Tell us something.: I am here to change my password and also to see what the market may look like should I decide to sell my lovely Sam Murray flute.

Post by sweet potato »

Thank you, David, for those links and the welcome. It looks like there will be many great things to choose from during our stay. We didn't look into traditional music very much when we were in Scotland five years ago, so I am looking to make up for that oversight this time.

Thank you once again and all the best,

Laura
Linnhe

Post by Linnhe »

The Footstompin forum is also a good place for information about traditional music events in Scotland.

Most of those sites are good, but check with the venue first - there can be out of date information on them.

And welcome from me too...!
sweet potato

Post by sweet potato »

Thanks so much! I'll be sure to check these out., And thanks also for the welcome!

Best, Laura