Low F recommendations?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by herbivore12 »

I think I might break down and pick up a low F whistle, after hearing Michael's Overton on his "Comparisons. . ." post, and those awesome Lunasa tunes.

Is there a consensus on the best low Fs out there, or is any high-end maker going to have a quality F? (I've heard mixed reviews on the Water Weasel F, though I have a G WW I like.) If you were to buy a low F, which would you go for?

If this helps: I like a strong lower end in my low whistles, with a complex and warmish tone, and generally don't like to blow as hard as you have to with the Shaw's I've played (though I do think Shaw's can sound pretty nifty, in the right hands).

[Having heard Michael's Overton on the web, if anyone wants to part with theirs, well. . .)

--Aaron
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Aaron - my experience with Low F whistles is limited to 3 - Overton, Chieftan, and Grinter. The Overton I already sold to a Board member; it was a blue anodized by Colin Goldie. He will make one for you and both he and his wife Brigitte are a pleasure to deal with. He will play various models for you over the phone and make it to order. His delivery times are as stated to you. This is a super fine whistle. I also some long time ago sold my Chieftain low F; in those days Chieftains were really inconsistent whistle to whistle in the same key, but this one was a freak of excellence. My personal favorite though is the Grinter I recently got second hand; it's red lancewood with brass fittings. This one I would keep for beauty alone, notwithstanding the wonderful tone, esp at the high end which is extraordinary. I believe Lunasa, which you mention, (Kevin Crawford?)uses or used Grinter low F. He has a site, but I'm not sure if he's making whistles at this time. Good luck. Philo
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I recently received a WW F. It's certainly a fine whistle, but at this point, I don't think it's as wonderful as the G. I may feel differently in a month or two. I do think that it's a steal at $82. There's also no waiting list. (This is only my second low-F, so I don't have much to compare it to.)

I was in touch with Michael Grinter recently about availability, and he is making whistles with an estimated wait of three months or so.

Charlie
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Aaron,

I've gotten out of the business of writing reviews and giving advice on the board, however, since very few people on the board have played the Grinter, I'll make an exception. I also have Phil O.'s old Chieftain F, so I'll comment on that as well.

Phil's Chieftain F is indeed unusually good for a Chieftain (they tend to be _very_ inconsistent), however it's no match for the Grinter or Overton Low F's, so let's get that out right away. First off the Chieftain's holes are not drilled perfectly in line (they wander off to the left), and second, while the Chieftain plays well and sounds good, the Overton and Grinter have a much more complex (and to my ear) more pleasing tone, there's more depth to them.

So then, between the Overton and Grinter, it really boils down to what you want: Volume, backpressure, the ability to play for a long time on a single breath, durability, low maintanance, agressive "growly" sound and moderate price? If that's your bag, go for the Overton.

OTH, if you want beautiful wood, zero clogging, amazingly sweet tone, don't mind lots of oiling and worrying about cracks, and have a big fat bank account, then the Grinter may be for you.

Both are really, really awesome instruments. Personally I found the Grinter Low F to be a bit of an air hog, much like the Shaws, and the one I had didn't like playing the last three notes in the second octave - an observation echoed by another Grinter owner I spoke with - not Phil though. Still, the tone of the Grinter whistles is freaking amazing - it's one of the only whistles I've ever regretted selling, and I only did so because I needed the money at the time.

Having said that, if I still owned the Grinter, it would likely see a little less playing time than my Overton Low F, the Overton is simply easier to play and also sounds great, but in a different sort of way.

So there you have it: You need both :smile:

Loren "Grinterless" B.
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

Aaron,

I have found the Low F to be a great whistle for me as I really like the flavor of that key. I've played a few, Copeland, Overton, Susato, and a CPVC Hoover.

The Copeland is, in my opinon, an awesome whistle. It has a wonderful round, reedy, warm, and full tone with lots of character. I like the flexibility in tone you can get with varied breath pressure. It will play quietly and also can have fairly good volume when pushed.

I be glad to share more with you if you contact me by email. I'll send you an address by Private Message on this board.
didymus

Post by didymus »

I have only had experience with a low f water weasel and I think it is terrific. In contrast to chas, the ww G that I had just didn't sound as good as the low f to me.

Frank
He wraps himself in light as with a garment; He stretches out the heavens like a tent...

Psalm 104:2
JMcCYoung

Post by JMcCYoung »

On 2002-04-14 21:35, BrianW wrote in part:

I've played a few, Copeland, Overton, Susato, and a CPVC Hoover.
I have no standard of comparison, but on Vinny's recommendation I bought - or actually told my wife I'd like for Christmas :smile: - a Hoover CPVC F. I think it has a lovely tone for what little my opinion is worth, but so did Tony Higgins when he played it, and so did another more experienced whistler/flute player in our session.

The fingering did take some getting used to after a high D, although it's barely more of a stretch than my Shaw low G. It has a mild tendency to clog when first played but it's not bad. I haven't tried Jet Dry or soap on it.

I was actually just improvising something on it about an hour ago in my car while waiting for my daughters to get out of youth group at church, when unexpectedly my across-the-street neighbor showed up at the window and complimented me on the sound of it. Astonishing! It *must* be a good whistle (or bad ears) - it couldn't have been my playing.

John
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

Loren,

You mean you still have some whistles left?
Some that I gather you could not part with :wink:

Does the low F get used in sessions?
This could be a duh question...
How does the key of F fit in with Itrad?

I have a low G, I bought it chiefly because one of the common keys played on mountain dulcimer, (with capo) is G.

Now there could be a need for a F in my collection? Oh NO!

Laura
Constance

Post by Constance »

If you guys are looking for a high end Low F I highly suggest checking out the Reyburn.
I have one and I absolutely love it. It has a rich, reedy, warm tone and is fairly loud in volume with minimal breath requirements (far less than the Shaw). His use of wood (for the head) and a brass tube are a wonderful combination. I'm also a big fan of no metal in the mouth, so the wood feels great.
I just ordered Ronaldo's new narrow bore low G and he tells me his wait is about a month, so you might want to check in with him, he's a great guy to do business with.
Constance
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Thanks, everyone, for the replies; some of you are very generous in posting good information (although Loren's advice -- buy both a Grinter and an Overton -- is not likely to stand me in good stead with the wife. . .).

I'm weighing your comments (and even one offer) now and will choose soon.

Thanks again,

Aaron
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Actually,

The Copeland is wonderful as well, so you need at least three Low F's =;^)

Loren

P.S. Hmm, let's see here, I've got Phil O.'s Chieftain F, Brian has my old Copeland F, Phil has ?'s Grinter Low F.....incestuous little bunch, aren't we?
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Loren wrote:

"Actually,

The Copeland is wonderful as well, so you need at least three Low F's =;^)"

Aaron replies:

Aaaaggghhhhh! Stop!

Loren gives dangerous advice.
eskin

Post by eskin »

I highly recommend the Overton F. As a matter of fact, I just picked up a second one today so I can play along with friends who don't have one of their own...
Phil Hardy

Post by Phil Hardy »

Just as a matter of interest,Mike McGoldrick plays a KerryPro F and lowD and a Chieftain mezzo A.
John McSherry Plays a KerryPro F and low D.
Brian Finnegan plays a KerryPro F.
Just thought I'd staighten out any confusion.
Phil.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

...ehm, this is actually confusing. First of all because I can't see any discussion going on about which player plays which brand of whistle.
Secondly, since in the 'Thank You' section of the Flook CD the mention Colin Goldie (and Chris Wilkes and Pat Olwell) I always figured Brian Finnegan plays Overton whistles (and Wilkes and Olwell flutes).

My Anodised Overton Low F is due to arrive any day now Image
Jeroen