Girly men resurrected

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Jon-M wrote:I hope no one will take offense, but I think you folks are being a little naive. What Schwarzenegger is doing is fairly clever though unscrupulous: under the guise of humor (which means you can't get mad at him without looking like a jerk; after all, it's only a joke! Can't you take a joke?), he is associating his opponents (the entire Democratic party in this case!) with homosexuals, a group against whom there is a substantial and widespread social bias colored with contempt. I find this kind of political tactic to be contemptible but many Republican politicians, like crime bosses, like to maintain deniability: see Bush and the self-contradicting vets (read lying) vets who are going after Kerry's military record. I hope that, unlike Schwarzenegger, I am being sufficiently straightforward.
Naive? NAIVE???? I'm offended. :D

Well, I'd think that what you're pointing out should already be pretty obvious, myself. But I don't see the point in turning the other cheek in such a low business (not to suggest that you implied as much, Jon). If you're hit, hit 'em right back, and where they live. You did a fair job of it yourself, Jon, in suggesting a comparison between Republican politicians and crime bosses. This, by the way, is not a partisan comment on my part, just an observation.

I say let the mud fly free and thick. We'll see everyone's truer colors that way, I think, and they can have the satisfaction of crying about their hurt feelings on top of it. :roll:
Father Emmet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Father Emmet »

[quote="Jon-M"]I I find this kind of political tactic to be

I agree, but I don't think they meant it to be that sinister, I don't think they thought to deeply about it, except that it worked before as a crowd pleaser. As a registered independant, I used to find this party squabbling amusing, but this time around it is really ticking me off. Out and out lying is unacceptable. If you have a charge against a candidate, fine. But back it up or shut up. Both parties are full of hot air, but one is filled with helium and the other hydrogen.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Jon-M wrote:I hope no one will take offense, but I think you folks are being a little naive. What Schwarzenegger is doing is fairly clever though unscrupulous: under the guise of humor (which means you can't get mad at him without looking like a jerk; after all, it's only a joke! Can't you take a joke?), he is associating his opponents (the entire Democratic party in this case!) with homosexuals, a group against whom there is a substantial and widespread social bias colored with contempt. I find this kind of political tactic to be contemptible but many Republican politicians, like crime bosses, like to maintain deniability: see Bush and the self-contradicting vets (read lying) vets who are going after Kerry's military record. I hope that, unlike Schwarzenegger, I am being sufficiently straightforward.
That's exactly what I said.

Or thought I said.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

A lot of people are doing a lot of unscrupelouse things this election. First the left, with the 9/11 movie, now the right, paying them back in spades and then some with the Swift boat whoevers. I refuse to vote. This isn't a swing state, so my vote is worthless anyway. When my daughter grows up and leaves home, I'm leaving the country.
I swear I hope they make a movie about this election.
Jackass. The Election.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

vomitbunny wrote:A lot of people are doing a lot of unscrupelouse things this election. First the left, with the 9/11 movie, now the right, paying them back in spades and then some with the Swift boat whoevers. I refuse to vote. This isn't a swing state, so my vote is worthless anyway. When my daughter grows up and leaves home, I'm leaving the country.
I swear I hope they make a movie about this election.
Jackass. The Election.
This is true about perhaps half of ALL elections. If you think the rancor is bad now, read about some of the 19th century elections.

As Churchill once said (paraphrased): Democracy is the worst possible form of government. Except for all the others.

And I *always* vote - if I can't find someone to vote *for*, I can usually find someone I want to vote *against*. Plus I figure that if you don't vote, you *deserve* the government you get. If you *do* vote, you can at least have the satisfaction of knowing you voted against the current scoundrel. Or whacking yourself upside the head for actually *voting* for the grifter.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Dcrom,

Are your '*' in lieu of quotation marks or do they mean "wink wink, nudge, nudge." :)
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

geek4music wrote:Dcrom,

Are your '*' in lieu of quotation marks or do they mean "wink wink, nudge, nudge." :)
It's a tick from newsgroups - read *foo* as foo or foo :lol:

The wink-wink-nudge-nudge is entirely up to your own taste.

But as I said, anyone who thinks vitriolic campaigning is a recent phenomona hasn't read much history. Or Mark Twain's description of working for a small-town newspaper - it was funny precisely because it was only an exageration of degree, not of kind.

Back in the 19th century, fistfights, attempted horsewhippings, and such were not uncommon - in Congress, between the legislators. And at least one attempted shooting, IIRC. So far, the Bush vs Kerry campaign is only figuratively a bare-knuckle brawl.
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

So far, the Bush vs Kerry campaign is only figuratively a bare-knuckle brawl.
:D In Leadville Colorado they still get into the spirit of things. Its not too uncommon for rival Mayoral candidates to cut down the other guys sign with a chainsaw. The guy who ran the Hotel we stayed at had a big campaign sign bolted to the bed of his pick-up truck.. Cutting it down kinda gets more complicated that way. Its not simply walking up to a front yard and cutting the sign down anymore.. you have a pesky car alarm to deal with, and it might be considered vandelizing the truck.

BAck to "girlie men" ... President Bush himself will prove to be a girlie man when it comes to his implied promise to simplify the tax code. Its a wonder he didnt get thrown out of the convention for such crazy talk. The only way to simplify the tax code, is to scrap all the complexities that the rich (and tax preperation firms) paid good money for. Without a complex series of write offs and loopholes guess what?? The Ultra Rich actually pay more taxes. So hes either serious about simplifying taxe code (and subsequently taxing the Rich more) or hes grubbing for lobbyist money to make the simple tax code idea go away fast.

Post by Guest »

Girliemen are short guys who beef up in the Gym, wear thick heeled shoes and hope to work on what nature denied them, to wit a bigger plonker ...but I could be wrong.

Alternatively girlymen could be guys wearning bras and make-up.