Clarke original whistle sounds breathy

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Clare

Clarke original whistle sounds breathy

Post by Clare »

I just bought a Clarke original whistle. Although I like the general tine better than my other cheap whistle, I do find it quite "breathy" sounding. Is there anything that can be done to fix that??
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

It's supposed to sound breathy. Record yourself and listen back before deciding whether you like or dislike the sound.

Oh, and welcome! :)
/Bloomfield
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I'm sure plenty of folks out there will offer tweaks, but might I suggest that the Clarke is meant to sound that way? Conical whistles are among my favorites, and my Clarke has a gorgeous upper register.

I did kill my first one, though, by tweaking it to death.

Now I have another, and I'm not gonna change it one bit :lol:

Mary
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I've taken a couple and mashed the windway down flat. I mash it down till it takes about half the air it did. I reshaped the blade on em a little too, but just mashing the windway down a bit does most of the work. My first one I mashed the whole windway down level. The second I just mashed down the last half. Both work just fine. They still keep most of that characterist sound. Just less breath. And less breathy.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I thought I had killed mine by over-tweaking, but I went back to it a couple of days ago and have now resuscitated it, it's rather pure sounding and requires only about 20-percent as much air as it did when I first got it.

I started by placing it on my formica-topped desk, with all the holes facing down, and whapping it at the fipple end with my clenched fist. This helped, but I wasn't satisfied, so I went a bit farther--too far. I also tried pushing the "dimple" of the blade down a bit, but all sound output ceased at that point, so I tried to raise it again, using a pair of needle-nosed pliers (lusing the side of the tips and levering against the opposite side of the windway opening). This pushed the top of the windway down flat, and and no air could go through it at all.

So, I found a small paring knife and inserted it from the end of the windway and twisted it back and forth to get the windway opened up a bit. Now it goes from about 1/16' high at the end down to about 1/32" by the blade, and it will once again play through both octaves.

I wasn't dissatisfied with the sound originally--I just didn't like the amount of air it required. I figured that for $6.00, I could afford to experiment.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I've found after you mashed down the windway and then pryied it up enough times, it get easy enough to do it with just your thumb. Heheheheh. Good gosh I wish they made them in more keys. I got a C coming. I can't wait to bend on that thing.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Didn't we do an intensive workshop thread on Clarke tweaking recently? If someone could dig that up and post the link here, it would be helpful.

I don't agree that Clarke original whistles "just sound that way," and you either like them or not. There's lots of variation in the factory run whistles, and some of them have a more interesting sound than others. I consider Clarke Originals to be a sort of "kit" whistle, because they're very adjustable. You can tinker with them until you have the sound you like best.

Best wishes,
Jerry
allezlesbleus

Post by allezlesbleus »

Get a JerryTone whistle! They're like super Clarkes.

(The breathiness is supposed to be there. It's a tone characteristic that is typical of this kind of whistle. Some dig it, some don't. It's not as noticeable to the person listening to you play.)
"You think you've cornered the truth, so I point out that you may have missed a thing or two."
--Carl Sagan from <i>Contact</i>
Norma

Post by Norma »

I Started a thread on Feb 6 re tweaking my Clarke...lots of suggestions there for ya.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

While I am sure Jerry is right about Clarkes being so tweakable (I've altered mine a bit with good results), I think that out-of-the-box they do tend to sound breathy compared to, for example Generations, Waltons or Feadogs. Also, I know how wary a beginner can be of modifying whistles (without advice from Jerry and other here I would never have dared try). Anyhow, my suggestion is to try the Sweetone (also a Clarke whistle) if you haven't already. Same barrel shape as the original but with a plastic mouthpiece. The sound (of mine at least) is kind of between the original and a cheap cylindrical like a Generation.

(BTW, how do I break this habit of using so many brackets/parentheses in my posts?)
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Norma wrote:I Started a thread on Feb 6 re tweaking my Clarke...lots of suggestions there for ya.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

There it is!

Best wishes,
Jerry
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I Clarke Original In Black very much is pleasant to me!!!
To tell the truth, as well as everything, had firstly problems with fipple. I have pushed it hardly forward, and strong have stuck epoxid pitch.
Recently I have received Clarke Original C unpainted... Also has been disappointed. Completely unsuitable for game... Holes are made crudely, build it is very strongly brought down.
I drilled the some holes, trying to level build, but it has not given special advantage(benefit)... I am confident, what earlier these whistles were others, tell to me, I am right? :-?
As if to D this whistle one of the most pleasant, it is especial after I have impregnated fipple oil of a balm :)))
Happy whistling!
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I've owned nearly 8 Clarke originals in D and 2 in C.

They were my first whistle, and I broke a lot of them by sitting on them while they were in my back pocket...the metal is awfully soft compared to a Generation, Feadog, etc.

I also broke 3 or 4 trying to tweak them.

But, they were all fairly breathy and had high wind requirements right out of the box.
TooTs

Post by TooTs »

I really like my clarke original. I found a lot of the air problem was because i couldn't get a good seal on the mouthpiece. Especially going up the second octave.

So i used my dremel thingy with a sanding drum to take out the area under the windway to make a beak...

I get a really easy seal on it now and it blows a lot easier than it did all the way through both octaves without any problems.

It still uses a bit more air than i would like, but the sound is wonderful and it's so balanced throughout the range.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

TooTs wrote:I really like my clarke original. I found a lot of the air problem was because i couldn't get a good seal on the mouthpiece. Especially going up the second octave.

So i used my dremel thingy with a sanding drum to take out the area under the windway to make a beak...

I get a really easy seal on it now and it blows a lot easier than it did all the way through both octaves without any problems.

It still uses a bit more air than i would like, but the sound is wonderful and it's so balanced throughout the range.
This is essentially what you buy at the whistle shop:

http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/w ... weeked.htm