Colin and Brigitte Goldie are awesome!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hi all,
I just got off the phone with Colin Goldie and I just have to let everyone know how wonderful he and his wife Brigitte are.
For starters, about three weeks ago I got in touch with Colin about a low F whistle, and he and Brigitte were both extremely helpful and friendly about it over e-mail. Colin told me he'd make me a whistle I'd love, but that the wait list was about thirty-six weeks. Yesterday I got an e-mail from Brigitte saying that the whistles were ready and that I should call them to pick one out and talk about voicing. How's that for service? Thirty-three weeks early!
Today I called Colin and after a few minutes of chatting he told me to hang up and he'd call me back so I didn't have to cover such an expensive phone bill. He called back and we had a great conversation about all sorts of music and whistles and beer and houses falling down and beautiful German girls :smile: He's brilliant. He ended up playing about 6 whistles for me over the phone, and boy, oh boy can he play! When, if ever, he comes out with an album I will buy it straight away. You hear me Colin? You've got a fan! So, the whistle is probably going out on Monday after he polishes it up and gets it packed away. I can't wait to get it.
Brigitte is also great. She has sent me some wonderful, very friendly e-mails and even offered to help me find a job when I was unemployed. I wish I had a chance to talk to her on the phone, but maybe next time.
Colin tells me they have about a zillion (give or take) instruments around their house, including flutes, a hurdy gurdy, didgeridoos, guitars, at least one bouzouki, and tons of whistles... I'd love to visit them sometime. Well, hopefully I'll get that chance before too long.
I highly recommend doing business with Colin and Brigitte, or even just getting in touch with them for a chat.
Thank you Colin and Brigitte!
All the best,
Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2002-02-01 13:12 ]</font>
Claus von Weiss
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Claus von Weiss »

Hi Chris,
Words more true were never spoken. Colin and Brigitte are awesome indeed. Being lucky to live almost around their corner, I can tell you, they're just as nice in real life as they are on the phone. So try to drop by if you ever have a chance to, they're absolutely charming, and the whole house is buzzing with music.
Enjoy your new Overton!
Claus

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Claus von Weiss on 2002-02-01 14:05 ]</font>
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

This is good news for me. I have a low f on order from Colin, so, if a batch is done...yeah. Colin estimated some time in Feb when we discussed it.

Colin's brother lives near me. He's a great guy, too. (I know your family secrets, Colin. That's going to cost you.) :smile:
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I, too, have had wonderful conversations with Colin and Brigitte...I'd love to meet them in person someday!

:smile: Jessie
johner

Post by johner »

Sorry to barge in here....

Does anyone know if there's a way to tell who made a particular Overton whistle? I have one in G that I bought from Hobgoblin while in London last year, and it sounds fantastic up to the second octave G (er I mean C, it's in G after all), after which the notes get very difficult to hit.

If Colin made it, I'm tempted to send it to him for a touch-up, but I don't know how to tell. It's just stamped "Overton".

Thanks,
John
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Just give him a call or e-mail. He'll tell you what to do with it.
Chris
AnnaDMartinez
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

I'm just getting to know Brigitte via e-mail! She's pretty special. Those two are definitely a class act!
jackorion

Post by jackorion »

I have to add my two cents here, being that Overton whistles are one of my favorite subjects.

I believe an Overton purchased from the Hobgoblin is made by Bernard. Mind you this is what I have heard, I'm not positive. Colin does sign and date the inside of his creations, though I'm not sure how long he has been doing this.

I have a few stories about how great it is dealing with the Goldies myself. The latest goes like this....I have been trying to find the Brendan Ring CD both on the net and in music stores. No luck. So I thought I'd ask Brigitte if I might be able to get it through them. I recieved an email the next day saying it would be in my parcel when the bass Bflat was ready. How great is that?!!

Thanks you two for all that you do.

Jack "Overton & out" Orion

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jackorion on 2002-02-01 22:19 ]</font>
brendan ring

Post by brendan ring »

Hello, I'm new to the list, but I can think of no better way to start than by wholeheartedly agreeing that Colin and Brigitte are absolutely wonderful. I've been playing the low whistle for 15 years and for me, there's only one place to go, the customer service is oustanding. However, this seems almost like an aside, even if they didn't make fantastic whistles, they'd still be wonderful!
TerryB

Post by TerryB »

Hi Brendan,

Welcome to the list. I've recently obtained your CD and am enjoying immensely your playing on both whistles and pipes. Listees, you need to pick up "Troublesome Things." It can be tough to find, so any info you could provide, Brendan, would be appreciated. Also, knowing this list, I'm sure everyone would love to know the details about the keys of the whistles you use on the CD or any other particulars.

P.S. I add my hearty endorsement of Colin and Brigitte!

Terry
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I'll make it unanymous; they are great folks to deal with and to talk to. Colin made me an anodized Low F that's one of my favorites. He signs and dates on the inside of the bottom of the tubing. All seven of his whistles that I own over the past several years are signed like that. Enjoy. Philo
jackorion

Post by jackorion »

Wow!! Trip out on that one. Brendan's first post was right after a mention of his CD. Ya know I planned it that way. Hehehe, just kidding of course. Brendan I'm looking forward to listening to your album. I'd like to hear about your whistles as well. Are you playing Colins standard low D or the Big hole version, or maybe both? I'm sure there will be a ton of questions for you when more of the Chiff and fipplers get thier hands on your CD. I'm sure I'll have a few.

Jack "Merlins pupil" Orion
brendan ring

Post by brendan ring »

In reply to Terry and Jack,
The CD is available from Colin and Brigitte and also http://www.madfortrad.com.

I only used Low F and Low D on the CD. Some of the tracks were actually recorded a number of years ago in analog(this is probably not the correct spelling). For these, which include Maverick Angels, the Lasher and Lios an Uisce I used whistles by Bernard Overton. The other tracks like Tyrells Pass, Ri Rings and Slip jig for Janet were recorded on Colins whistles. However, one track features
whistles by both makers and that is the Lasher. The first 4 bars of the fast part are played on Colins low D then it goes back to Bernards. Any obsessive types can attempt to spot the very slight tonal change! I am not sure which model of Colins Low D I play I just chose the one I liked best although I'm fairly sure it is not the wide hole model. It is very easy to play and sounds beautiful. The CD sound is very representative of it's true sound.

Hope this answers your questions
Brendan
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Welcome Brendan! It's fantastic to have folks like you on the board.
Best,
Chris
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Attention:
Please refrain from any further positive comments about Colin and Brigitte. It makes them embarrassed. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter :wink:
Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2002-02-05 19:41 ]</font>