OT: Landline versus cell phone

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cyberspiff

OT: Landline versus cell phone

Post by cyberspiff »

Jerry's question on VoIP phones gets to me a question I've been meaning to ask opinions on for a while.

How many people do not even have a landline phone service and only use their cell phones? My wife and I both have cell phones with 900 minutes shared and we always carry over 200-300 minutes a month. It seems silly for us to pay $50 a month ($34 + taxes/tolls/usage fees) for a phone line from our local provider and also pay for the cell phone. We only use the landline for local calls, using the cell for all long distance. So it seems to me that I can really get rid of the landline and just use the cell. Or so it would seem...

How about some opinions from board members? Do you have both landline and cell? Or just one?
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes.
--Jack Handy Deep Thoughts
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Dear Cyberspiff,

Where does your internet connection come from?

Work
Home (normal phone)
cable.

I agree. I would like to eliminate my regular phone. My wife and I have 1200 minutes plus free mobile to mobile so we never go over. However, until my neck of the woods gets cable access we are stuck with two phone services.

Thank you.

PS. Forgot to mention. I don't talk when I'm driving so that cuts down on the minutes. We aren't the kind of blithering baffoons who can't go five seconds without running our mouths into a box of some kind.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
cyberspiff

Post by cyberspiff »

My internet connection is DSL, but I don't know if the phone company will let me keep it if I drop the phone service. Actually, in Atlanta high-speed internet is cheaper over cable than DSL is with phone service. So there is no overwhelming reason to keep the DSL if we turn off the phones.

I'm not sure but I think that even if you do not have phone service the local phone company is required to give you 911 access in event of emergency. Does anyone know if this is true nationwide?
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes.
--Jack Handy Deep Thoughts
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

The only reason i keep my landline phone is because i get a better rate for international calls (and we do a lot of international calls, to Brazil and Slovakia).
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

I have nowt but a cellphone, and I do use it to connect to the 'net at a staggering 9.6kbps in the evenings to check&send email (and at weekends, occassionally check the forum...it takes ages for web-pages to download at that speed!).

Not really a matter of personal choice - I'd prefer a broadband line and landline phone at home, but over here if you're in rented accommodation you need to show the telco at least a 12-month lease before they'll install, plus written permission from the landlords... my lease is a 6-month one.

I do find though that people flinch when it comes to their phoning me...much more expensive for them than my phoning me. Which isn't always a bad thing, fewer interruptions :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner