Ceramic Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
behnt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by behnt »

I currently am thinking of making a ceramic whistle and I am wondering how to deal with the srinkage of the clay when it is fired.
I have found these sites on building one
http://www.geocities.com/rvelaz.geo/xochi/constri.html
http://www.cr.k12.ia.us/hard/Arts/Visual/flute/cf2.htm
but they do not seem to worry about the srinkage, is it a problem or am I not correct on the clay srinking?
Thanks for your help
Silante,
Ben
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

The one ceramic flute that I have is totally out of tune and plays quite poorly. I don't thing that they worried about shrinkage :wink:

Erik
behnt

Post by behnt »

The one I have is in tune and it is easy to play as well as having a great sound. I think I can duplicate this if I get enough information.
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Making a porcelain flute come out perfect after firing is an acquired skill but there are some "tricks". If you make the borelength a little short,you can plug the end with a wooden coin shaped plug and bore a small hole in the center. Slowly increase the size of the hole until the fundamental pitch is correct.

Making the toneholes a little larger also helps. After firing and shrinkage you can reduce them(flatten pitch)with layers of clearcoat. Begin with tuning the lowest tonehole and work your way to the voicing/embouchure end or use the same technique as the bore end correction(bored coin plugs).

Overall,reducing a hole flattens pitch and increasing a hole sharpens it. Raising the overall pitch of a clay flute is done by increasing the voicing size and vise-versa.

Calculating the shrinkage can be done by impressing a ruler on a sample tile and then measure the increments after firing.

Talk to some experts at...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ocarinaclub/

Thomas Hastay.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I just thought I'd bring this thread up, as it has some good information pertaining to a recent thread.
Reasonable person
Walden
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'm confused, the original poster askes about shrinkage, stating that the authors of the articles referenced don't seem to be concerned with it, yet the more detailed article on mexican historical flutes clearly states in one of the first few paragraphs that he uses a clay that shrinks 8%.

Seems to me that this was mentioned for a reason - Construct your flute 8% longer, and wider than you'd like the fired peice to be. No doubt working with clay will require some trial and effort anyway, so measure before and after firing, to measure actual shrinkage rates and adjust from there.

Final tuning and voicing adjustments will need to be done after firing anyway, but if you allow for the 8% (assuming you use the exact clay mentioned), you should end up fairly close after the first try.

Loren
EricWingler

Post by EricWingler »

On 2002-08-25 08:23, Loren wrote:

Seems to me that this was mentioned for a reason - Construct your flute 8% longer, and wider than you'd like the fired peice to be.

Loren
Actually, if there is an 8% shrinkage, you would need to increase the length by 8.7%--just one of those quirky things about percentages.
Eric Wingler
A Whistling Mathematician