I'm having problems with my Burke. udate 6/9/3

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
corinthia
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by corinthia »

What sound do you get when you try to play those notes? A horrid sound, no sound at all, those notes an octave lower, what? I'm curious...

I do know that some older models of Burkes have trouble with mouthpiece clogging, I don't know if your model applies. Try cleaning out the mouthpiece (and in the square windway at the top) with a strip of cut-up credit card.

All I know about Burkes is that the one model I ever played, once at a session, had low breath requirements and was REALLY easy to get high notes on, even third octave ones.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

corinthia wrote:Try cleaning out the mouthpiece (and in the square windway at the top) with a strip of cut-up credit card.
While cutting up credit cards is certainly a good idea, I think it would be wiser to use a strip of cut-up business card to clean and/or soap the windway... but I'm sure that's what you really meant to write! ;)
Be sure to never insert anything in the windway that could possibly scratch it!
Scratches (even tiny ones) inside the windway will cause more condensation buildup than what would normally occur inside a windway with a perfectly smooth surface.
I should also mention that one of the biggest (and most comon) mistakes I know of is using wire pipe cleaners to clean the windway... I've seen whistles nearly ruined by them.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

corinthia wrote:
I do know that some older models of Burkes have trouble with mouthpiece clogging, I don't know if your model applies.
all the burkes have delrin mouthpieces now. it's just the old style burkes that used to clog.