Generation "Boho" Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sirchronique
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Generation "Boho" Whistles

Post by Sirchronique »

I've been buying a lot of gens lately, both old and new, and just today I came across something very unusual. I am not sure if this is something new, or if I have simply not taken notice until now, but they now offer whistles with rather odd designs on the barrel, and black heads.

This was listed on Amazon in November, so I am not sure if they have been around for long before that. http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Paisle ... B017WBDEV6

They offer three different colour schemes for the tube, all with black heads. I picked up a black and gold one on "The Whistle Shop" for cheaper than Amazon. The tube seems a bit tacky, but then again, so do bright red and blue heads. I suppose if you get a good head you can always put it on a regular brass or nickel tubes. I wish they had always offered the black heads, as they look a lot less carnival-toyish.

Anyway, just something unusual that I have spotted, and I don't recall any mention of it on this forum yet, so thought I'd share.
Tommy

Re: Generation "Boho" Whistles

Post by Tommy »

They are flashy. :thumbsup:

Brand New by Generation Whistles - Boho Model in Key of D
Comes in Gift Pack
Traditional English Tin Penny Whistle in the Key of D
Generation are the finest in Whistle Manufacturing
This Whistle is in Paisley Black - The Boho Model is Available in 3 Colours
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I saw them in Custy's a few months ago.
My brain hurts

megapop

Post by megapop »

Sirchronique wrote:The tube seems a bit tacky, but then again, so do bright red and blue heads.
If they intended to offer more distinguished looking whistles, they certainly went over the top quite a bit! :lol: Looks like a great whistle to take to a Goa rave, though. I'm intrigued... thanks for sharing, Sirchronique! Is the feel and thickness of the coating similar to those painted Feadógs (if you happen to have one for comparison)?
return null;
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

megapop wrote:
Sirchronique wrote:The tube seems a bit tacky, but then again, so do bright red and blue heads.
If they intended to offer more distinguished looking whistles, they certainly went over the top quite a bit! :lol: Looks like a great whistle to take to a Goa rave, though. I'm intrigued... thanks for sharing, Sirchronique! Is the feel and thickness of the coating similar to those painted Feadógs (if you happen to have one for comparison)?

I have no idea on that yet. I ordered one, but it won't arrive until next week.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

so do bright red and blue heads
The bright green heads have finally made it over here as well I noticed. For years they were only available 'overseas', possibly to appeal to sentiments of 'Oirish-ness'.
Is the feel and thickness of the coating similar to those painted Feadógs
It was my impression they were similar. Only saw them in a box in the shop though.
My brain hurts

Blower
Tell us something.: Whistling for 8 years after 40 year break from oboe, not enough puff for that anymore. Play gigs, sessions and for own amusement, though not cat's.

Post by Blower »

I can't imagine the pattern stays on for long, any more than a Clarke original.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Just curious why on Amazon the Boho paisley green and blue whistles are considerably cheaper than the Boho black whistle? Ad says available in three colors, yet, the price varies... how so?
megapop

Post by megapop »

Mr.Gumby wrote:It was my impression they were similar. Only saw them in a box in the shop though.
Thanks! Yes, it looks similar on the photos too... seems alright to me then. I just ordered one anyway... in their own cheesy way they're actually looking pretty cool. :) Also I like the name.
ytliek wrote:Just curious why on Amazon the Boho paisley green and blue whistles are considerably cheaper than the Boho black whistle? Ad says available in three colors, yet, the price varies... how so?
Hm, maybe due to higher demand? Seems they're pretty quick at the trigger in this regard. On this side of the pond they all cost the same, though.
Last edited by megapop on Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
return null;
Sirchronique

Post by Sirchronique »

They all cost the same where I bought mine, as well. I think around 12 bucks each. The website I bought it from states that the pattern is floated on top of a bath of water, and the whistle bodies are pulled up through it and it leaves the pattern on the whistle, and then afterwards a coating is put over it to keep it on. I'm sure it does wear eventually, though.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

the pattern is floated on top of a bath of water, and the whistle bodies are pulled up through it
That would be standard marbling technique for paper. You use carrageen to create he surface tension needed to float the paint on top and make your patterns. Not completely sure it works like that on whistle tubes but if they say so... .
My brain hurts

Tor

Post by Tor »

As I'm currently under-provided with high D whistles (yeah.. ..) I ordered one. Not from Amazon though, it's cheaper elsewhere.
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

I'd be interested in hearing how well these play when you guys get them.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

BrianG wrote:I'd be interested in hearing how well these play when you guys get them.
Guessing they'll play like, um, Generations? :-?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

Peter Duggan wrote:
BrianG wrote:I'd be interested in hearing how well these play when you guys get them.
Guessing they'll play like, um, Generations? :-?

They should play cooler than that.