CP: May report from O'Brien Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
OBrien
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

CP: May report from O'Brien Whistles

Post by OBrien »

Happy May Day- Did you run across any Morris Dancers? I heard a report on the radio this morning that some were spotted around here.

I have posted a couple more samples played on my chromatic whistle/ converted piccolo that I am tentatively calling The Whisolo. They are a gavotte and a bourree by JS Bach that I chose because they have all 12 notes of the chromatic scale. Here they are:

http://obrienwhistles.com/files/bach2.mp3

http://obrienwhistles.com/files/bach1.mp3

I know it's not the greatest playing, but I just wanted to demonstrate the versatility of the instrument.

Can anyone suggest a better name than "Whisolo"? I'll offer a 15% discount on the purchase of one, if anyone has a catchier idea.

A new whistle with a name I am happy with is The Warbler. It uses the same mouthpiece as the Whisolo on a thin walled brass body. A simple, traditional design, but it really warbles. You can see and hear it here, about half-way down the page:

http://obrienwhistles.com/

I would like to send one out on a try-before-you-buy tour. PM me if you are interested. They are introductory priced now at C$75, which includes shipping, world-wide.
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Re: CP: May report from O'Brien Whistles

Post by ShadowBG625 »

I saw the Whisolo on your site, then searched the forums to see if any mention had been made about it. I think that's a great idea. Is this something you'd where you'd be able to fit the custom headjoint onto an existing piccolo (i.e. my piccolo) or just the piccolos you advertise on the site? I'm very intrigued by this concept, and may be getting in touch with you soon in regards to ordering :D

Oh, and as far as a name goes, I like how "Fippolo" sounds and flows, since it's essentially a fipple headjoint on a piccolo body. I keep thinking that Whisolo is missing an "s" because it is between two vowels, and should be "Whissolo". But that's just me.

Cheers! :pint:
therykos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by therykos »

I think I prefer ShadowBG625's suggestion fippolo to whisolo too, but I've never been a big fan of portmanteau in general. So, how about "concert whistle"? I think it sounds a little more "professional" and "serious".
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

I'm open to more name suggestions. I like "concert whistle", too. Fippolo has a nice ring to it.

Yes, I can fit a whistle head to any piccolo, as long as you send the piccolo.
GavinPen

Post by GavinPen »

I came across this conversation while googling for keyed whistles a few months ago.
I ordered a whisolo from David, and I'm delighted with it.
The whisolo is a simple idea, but a great one - it lets a whistle player easily play in any key, and opens up a big repertoire.
I've posted a short video about it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EifrBCbiV7o

Gavin Pennycook
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

A big welcome to the Chiffboard, Gavin. And cheers for that demo. I've been waiting to see/hear someone exercise the whistle-piccolo properly.

If you take requests, I wouldn't mind a demo that shows off more of the chromatic possibilities of the Boehm keywork. Whether a tune from the trad repertoire, or something beyond it.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

GavinPen wrote:The whisolo is a simple idea, but a great one - it lets a whistle player easily play in any key, and opens up a big repertoire.
I was just typing a question about your left-handed playing when you got to that bit in the video! But are the top-hand thumb keys not also on the wrong side for you?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

I'd like to thank Gavin for volunteering to record this demo. It reminds me of those old Ronco infomercials for a new kitchen gadget that always had the phrase "There has to be a better way!" when the dull knife smushed the tomato.

You should also check Gavin's videos playing the nyckelharpa, a Swedish cross between a fiddle and a hurdy-gurdy. He has an album on iTunes.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

MTGuru wrote:BTW, Chiffers ... Check out some of Gavin's fiddle work on the Tube:
Nice! :)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
GavinPen

Post by GavinPen »

Hi All, thanks for the comments.

I'll hopefully get round to posting something more chromatic on the whisolo soon.
I haven't actually done any research on piccolo fingerings, so there might be different or better ways of getting some of the notes.
But this is the picture as far as I understand it;

There are 12 distinct semitones in an octave:
D, Eb, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, Bb, B, C, C#

On a D whistle:
- Open fingering plays 7 of these:
D, E, F#, G, A, B, C#
- One (C) can usually be cross-fingered.
That leaves Eb, F, G# and Bb as difficult half-covers.

On the whisolo,
- There are two (centred) thumb-keys at the back, one above the other, which are worked by the thumb of the top hand
- one or other of these needs to be pressed at all times.
- Open fingering gives you:
D, E, F, G, A, Bb (with thumb on top thumb-key), B (with thumb on bottom thumb-key), C#
- C (natural) and F# are easily cross-fingered.
- The pinkie keys give you the Eb and G#.

(I probably wasn't being strictly accurate when I called the piccolo a fully-keyed flute)

Gavin
maki

Post by maki »

Welcome Gavin!
Thanks for showing the Chiff-A-Low.

BTW, here is a link to Gavin's Celtic Nickelharpa cd:
http://www.musicscotland.com/cd/Gavin-P ... harpa.html