O'Brien African Blackwood Rover

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

O'Brien African Blackwood Rover

Post by PhilO »

For my 65th birthday, I treated myself to something I've eyed for a while - the 3-piece O'Brien Rover (soprano D). After back and forth with David, I decided on the African blackwood. This was a departure in that I generally prefer metal or delrin. While being cosmetically beautiful and impeccably crafted with fine materials, it's also easily travelled when broken down into 3 pieces into its little classy black leather bag (wow, that's really sounding metrosexual of me, eh). The fipple is delrin and the ferrules and tuning slide and shaft into the lower piece are brass. As stated in another thread by Paul Busman, there is a hole drilled through that bottom shaft that perfectly matches the tone hole. This engineering allows for really perfect fit and tolerances so that there is no movement among the parts when playing - solid lockup yet no struggling to put together or take apart. Also, I've never had a problem with blackwood not holding up even (admittedly) while sometimes ignoring suggested maintenance.

What's interesting about this whistle is that it's both a finely crafted exquisite looking whistle that is also a traveler. it is not cheap, especially in blackwood.

I'm not crazy about trying to give long-winded playing reviews, but it is a lovely player that is fun and easy for me to play. To try to be sensible and objective, I recorded myself on the Rover as well as on my Sindt and on my Parks Walkabout, which also breaks down into 3 pieces for travel. Thus, I compared it to my definitive every day forever favorite whistle (Sindt) and another really great travel whistle (Parks). I played each one after the other - Calliope House (jig), South Wind and Foggy Dew (airs), and the Ashplant (reel). And, as I've always thought, when playing any decent whistles, they tend to sound pretty much the same due to the same player. I quickly recorded one time through on my Edirol R-1, and maybe some of our more accomplished players could discern meaningful differences. The only thing I noted in particular was that the Parks was a bit louder and had a bit more air in the tone than the other two. So I guess that's a good thing - I couldn't tell much difference in playability or tonal quality between my favorite Sindt and the new Rover - a pretty darn good endorsement.

The Rover is a pleasure for airs with a nice full round tone; it's also responsive when playing jigs, reels, flings. Nicely balanced between the upper and lower ends and can be played softly and really leaned into. Doesn't take a lot of air, notes easily sustained, octave changes effortless. Hasn't clogged yet during extended play. Ok, I really love this whistle and will continue to reach for it as with the Sindt.

In sum, if you're looking for a really fine whistle that travels easily, and is terrific value, the Parks is great. It is polymer , comes in a little nylon bag with a belt loop, and costs about a third of the O'Brien. OTOH, if you're looking for an exquisitely crafted wonderful player that ALSO travels well in a leather cinch bag that fits in a pocket, the Rover is spot on. :party: :party: :party: :party:

I believe I successfully posted a pic in the whistle collection pic thread.
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Re: O'Brien African Blackwood Rover

Post by Feadoggie »

Nice photos, PhilO!

Happy birthday, The O'Brien Rover is a nice whistle. I have had a delrin and brass Rover for some time now - not the newer all delrin model. It looks just like your blackwood whistle from a few feet away. I find it to be a very enjoyable and well made whistle. The portability is certainly a plus. Sadly :sniffle: mine only came in a cloth bag.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Nice looking O'Brien Rover 3-pc in blackwood, love wood. I can't wait until I'm 65... and nicely posted photos too. :)

Enjoy!
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Nice catch, PhilO!

I bought an O'Brien Rover in blackwood six or seven years ago from a forum regular, and it's been my solid favorite ever since. It's been around the world, to innumerable sessions, and is my 'go-to' for almost any situation. (Runner-up is an early aluminum Burke, which is the easiest player I've ever found, but a bit on the pure/sterile side, for my tastes).

I liked the Rover enough to have David make me a C body in blackwood, which is equally good. Highly recommended!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
sherriev

Post by sherriev »

I've had two rovers so far. I sold the wooden one. I liked it, but wasn't caring for it as well as I felt I should be.

However, I still have and LOVE my delrin rover. It's a great whistle! Granted, they're not cheap - but man they're nice.
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

i have a Rover set in Delrin and brass, inclusive of the key of Eb,D, and C. A wonderful set of whistles with a beautiful form. David is a fine craftsman and my Rover set is a lovely player. As was mentioned, it can be played quite softly or pushed. I also think the contrasting black of the Delrin and the brass give the whistle a truly beautiful appearance.
I love my Rover set. :thumbsup:

Slainte,
Cayden
Last edited by Cayden on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Mine's in wenge. No debate here. Well made, in tune whistle that fits in your pocket. :thumbsup:

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
nursefroggy

Post by nursefroggy »

Cayden wrote:i have a Rover set in Delrin and brass, inclusive of the key of Eb,D, and C. A wonderful set of whistles with a beautiful form. David is a fine craftsman and my Rover set is a lovely player. As was mentioned, it can be played quite softly or pushed. I also think the contrasting black of the Delrin and the brass give the whistle a truly beautiful appearance.
I love my Rover set. :thumbsup:

Slainte,
Cayden
I fully endorse your comments about my new Rover set (D & C). :thumbsup:

In addition to your review, the consistent accurate intonation (forgive me if this is the wrong term to describe the accurate pitch throughout the range of the whistle - I'm a newbie).
Also, 'C ' is in tune with a simple oxxooo fingering; a real plus.

The one issue that I have is with excess moisture accumulation, which is not an problem with the Clarke MEGs or Generation...perhaps it is because I can't put O'Brien's Rovers down.
Thank you for recommending O'Brien, Cayden!

Nurse Froggy
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Interesting you should say that, as my D body wants a C fingering of OXOXOX, (or similar, keeping T3 vented). This took a bit of adjusting to, but it turned out well as my David O'Brien flute prefers the same.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

crookedtune wrote: (Runner-up is an early aluminum Burke, which is the easiest player I've ever found, but a bit on the pure/sterile side, for my tastes).
If you ever decide to sell that, let me know. My biggest whistling regret is selling off a 2001 AL-Pro.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Thomaston wrote:If you ever decide to sell that, let me know. My biggest whistling regret is selling off a 2001 AL-Pro.
How interesting. :) I've replaced almost all of my older Burkes with more recent models. But I chose to hold on to the high and low D whistles made in 2001. They are indeed different from the current Burkes. While I still play the more recent ones most often, the sweet and easy top end of the 2001 whistles are a treat when a tune stays up there in the stratosphere.
crookedtune wrote:This took a bit of adjusting to, but it turned out well as my David O'Brien flute prefers the same.
I'm not sure how to react to that one. I suppose a chuckle is in order. Unless I am missing something, wouldn't the makers of those instruments be two (maybe three considering father and son for the flute) different David O'Briens?

I'm still enjoying my O'Brien whistle.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Yes, different David O'Briens, from different parts of the world.

Whistles: http://www.obrienwhistles.com/

Flutes: http://traditionalirishflutes.com/

Odd that they became two of my favorite instruments, in spite of sending me back to the woodshed for a bit. :lol:

I've been surprised that O'Brien flutes have gotten so little exposure. I like it as well (careful wording there) as any flute I've played.
Charlie Gravel

― Oscar Wilde
nursefroggy

Post by nursefroggy »

crookedtune wrote:Yes, different David O'Briens, from different parts of the world.

Whistles: http://www.obrienwhistles.com/

Flutes: http://traditionalirishflutes.com/

Odd that they became two of my favorite instruments, in spite of sending me back to the woodshed for a bit. :lol:

I've been surprised that O'Brien flutes have gotten so little exposure. I like it as well (careful wording there) as any flute I've played.
Hi Crookedtune,

High calibre craftsmanship seems to go with the O'Brien name.
My Rover set is from the Canadian David O'Brien at http://www.obrienwhistles.com Do visit his site and email him if you have any questions, he responds very quickly and the interval between ordering a customized whistle and its arrival at the front door was only three weeks!

Slainte,
Nurse Froggy
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Sorry, you misunderstand. I have dealt with both (or actually all three) David O'Briens.

My blackwood Rovers are from the Canadian. The flute is from the father/son team in County Clare.
Charlie Gravel

― Oscar Wilde