Sub NAF

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Sub NAF

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I'm building a Low-Low-D Bass whistle with the Native American Flute Scale for the Fort Ancient Celebration coming this weekend. NAF is short for Native American Flute and since it's in the Basswhistle range, I'm calling it a Sub NAF.
It's wider than a basswhistle (2" bore) so that it's strong for first octave use like most NAFs and this is the first design using aluminum keys. The fipple window is 1" wide.

It is being donated to Fort Ancient and will be part of the Silent Auction. I don't know which day it will be there on. If I find out in time, I'll post it here.
The whistle is decorated with a Native American theme.

Hope to get pictures soon.

http://www.fortancient.org/
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
stanton135
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Re: Sub NAF

Post by stanton135 »

Very cool. I approve of your sub-low D whistles and flutes. I think there aren't enough makers who are working in that range. :thumbsup:

A picture would be good, but better than that would be a sound clip. I want to hear how it plays!
stanton135
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

Also, nice avatar. That's gotta be a what, a sub-sub-sub-sub-sub low D, if it's big enough to fit a human inside on a ride to Mars? :D
Daniel_Bingamon

Yes, it's too bad that Mars doesn't have a decent enough atmosphere to play it in.

Sound file: http://www.kingsmills.us/jubilee/store/subnaf-d.wma
Sorry that it's a Windows WMA file.

Front Photo:

Back Photo:

The mic on this is a bit hot but this is the loudest one that I've ever made. The fact that it's a wide bore and designed to play just one octave made it quite powerful. You can feel it vibrate in your hands.
Daniel_Bingamon

The Sub NAF will be at Fort Ancients Silent Auction on Sunday, June 9th 2013.