What whistle is this?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Davey J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

What whistle is this?

Post by Davey J »

My very oldest whistle no longer has a label, if it ever had one. But it is sometimes one of my favourites.

It is a high D and has a cylindrical brass body that is now pretty well verdigrised with only the area over the holes looking brass-coloured. The plastic head is green and exactly the same shape and form as that of a Generation D with a blue plastic head that I have.

Did Generation ever do a green-top?

Any ideas, please, anyone, what I have got. Thank you!
" If you happen to play a wrong note, next time around play it again to show you meant it."
Jazz Teacher
Feadoggie

Re: What whistle is this?

Post by Feadoggie »

Probably a Gen Folk Whistle.

It's a popular question today.

Feadoggie.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Davey J wrote:
Did Generation ever do a green-top?

Yes, it is still available.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Davey J wrote:Did Generation ever do a green-top?
Tommy wrote:Yes, it is still available.
e.g., http://www.mally.com/details.asp?id=346

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Davey J

Post by Davey J »

Thank you Feadoggie, Tommy and Steve. Those replies we're really quick - amazing!

I'm very pleased to know what I've got. This forum is a wonderful support.

D.
" If you happen to play a wrong note, next time around play it again to show you meant it."
Jazz Teacher
James D

Post by James D »

Davey J wrote:My very oldest whistle no longer has a label, if it ever had one. But it is sometimes one of my favourites.

It is a high D and has a cylindrical brass body that is now pretty well verdigrised with only the area over the holes looking brass-coloured. The plastic head is green and exactly the same shape and form as that of a Generation D with a blue plastic head that I have.

I wonder could it perhaps be an old Feadog? Mine has an identical head to the Gen, (but a deeper green than the one in feadoggies pic)
Also had a paper label, which fell off ages ago.
I think there would likely be some trace of the painted label if it was a Gen?
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

James D wrote:I wonder could it perhaps be an old Feadog? Mine has an identical head to the Gen, (but a deeper green than the one in feadoggies pic)
It shouldn't be identical. The shape of the ramp (labium) is different. The Feadóg has no ramp bump. The Feadóg windway is flush to the tip, while the Gen is slightly recessed. And the Feadóg head is longer than the Generation by around 2 mm.

Assuming you mean a Feadóg Mark III. The older Feadóg head (Mark I) was quite different.
James D wrote:I think there would likely be some trace of the painted label if it was a Gen?
The Generation decal (not paint) can flake away (or be scraped away) quite nicely without a trace. :)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

MTGuru wrote:The Generation decal (not paint) can flake away (or be scraped away) quite nicely without a trace. :)
then, in the future, we can all ask the forum what whistle do I have? :D :D :D
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

As an aside, older Generations like the 1977 version my dad got in Dublin when he was my age have an enameled label, not a sticker. I've had to put nail polish on it to keep it from flaking, as I like the "old school" look of the original.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:As an aside, older Generations like the 1977 version my dad got in Dublin when he was my age have an enameled label, not a sticker.
Yes, and they still do. As above, I'm pretty sure it is (and was) a kind of decal or appliqué, as you can see the outline around it.

Reminds me of gluing together model planes and ships as a kid. Things looked fine until I went to apply the decals, and then they all ended up looking like surplus materiel from World War Cockeyed. Never could get the darn things on straight. :oops:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

i like the green one
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Davey,
Don't hesitate to send Jerry Freeman a PM or email regardingmyour vintage whistle question. I spent a couple of hours with him and the time just flew by. Jerry seems to have an encyclopedic mind regarding whistle related history, facts, and trivia. I am sure he would be interested in your question. He let me play a 19th century whistle made in the UK during our visit on Thursday. He issued the caveat that the whistle had a lead fipple, so I should not breath in while playing. I gave it a few toots as instructed and have no concerns for any risk of Pb poisoning resulting therefrom. :lol:

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!