Quick "Low" G question, NOT transposition

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cutterpup
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Quick "Low" G question, NOT transposition

Post by cutterpup »

Okay, I'm playing my G whistle with correct G fingerings XXXXXX is a G. Now if I play my G it sounds an octave lower than the G (XXXOOO) on my D whistle. If I play my G in the upper octave it plays in the same tone as my D whistle.
Soooo, being faced with my music in the key of G and using my G fingerings which is usually done?
1. Play my XXXXXX G as second line on the staff and lose all fingerings below that
2. Play the G in the second octave, there by losing the lower tone and the only difference being that I can now play notes lower than the D whistle.
3. Something that I am missing all together

thanks for any input.
Judy and The Cutterpup
31 cameras, 11 recorders, 14 whistles, 3 mountain dulcimers, 1 vintage practice chanters, 1 wooden mystery flute, 1 hammered dulcimer, 1 bowed psaltry, 1 clarinet, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law, 2 grandkids, 2 cats, 1 dog
JTC111
antispam: No

Re: Quick "Low" G question, NOT transposition

Post by JTC111 »

cutterpup wrote:Okay, I'm playing my G whistle with correct G fingerings XXXXXX is a G. Now if I play my G it sounds an octave lower than the G (XXXOOO) on my D whistle. If I play my G in the upper octave it plays in the same tone as my D whistle.
Soooo, being faced with my music in the key of G and using my G fingerings which is usually done?
1. Play my XXXXXX G as second line on the staff and lose all fingerings below that
2. Play the G in the second octave, there by losing the lower tone and the only difference being that I can now play notes lower than the D whistle.

thanks for any input.
As far as I know, there's no "usually done" in what you're describing. The range of the music is going to determine where you start. If you have notes below the bell note, you'll need to start in the second octave.

I have no idea why you're referencing a D whistle in the question though. I'll let others weigh in on this who have more experience, but from your questions, it really feels like you're approaching the whistle in a way that is going to make learning more difficult than it has to be.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
killthemessenger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by killthemessenger »

You have a bunch of recorders, so I'm sure you're familiar with the concept of playing any recorder with either F or C fingerings to suit the range of a piece of music. The same applies to whistles. It's not at all complicated.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

I referenced D whistles because if I am playing tje G octave up, the tone is so close to the D that I was wondering if it would even be worth the effort to play tje H when the same tune could be played on a D whistle.
My question has been answered. I see now that there isn't a third option that I'm missing.
thanks
Judy and The Cutterpup
31 cameras, 11 recorders, 14 whistles, 3 mountain dulcimers, 1 vintage practice chanters, 1 wooden mystery flute, 1 hammered dulcimer, 1 bowed psaltry, 1 clarinet, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law, 2 grandkids, 2 cats, 1 dog
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Yes, it is transposition! :twisted: Or it *could* be.
cutterpup wrote: 1. Play my XXXXXX G as second line on the staff and lose all fingerings below that
You could do that. It's what a classically trained "play by the dots" musician might do. It isn't what I would do, but you could do that. If you were playing in an orchestra, or even in a band, you might, maybe, consider this. Maybe.
cutterpup wrote: 2. Play the G in the second octave, there by losing the lower tone and the only difference being that I can now play notes lower than the D whistle.
Again, this is something you would only consider if you play exclusively by the dots. I'm not even sure what you're saying.
cutterpup wrote:3. Something that I am missing all together
Play by ear! Play your G as if you're playing on a D. You and your whistle will have transposed the tune. Sorry. It's what happens! :tomato:

What you do in a case like this depends on whether you are playing with others. If you are on your own, then just play the tune on your Low G as if you were playing it on the high D. It's the same tune, it's just shifted down from D to G. People listening will say "Oh, that's lower, isn't it?" You reply "Yes indeed" or "No, really, is it?" depending on how sarky you feel.
If you are playing with a band or an orchestra, then it is between you and them how you approach it. In many instances you can do just as I've said in the previous sentence, and it will sound okay and your band will be reasonably happy. A classical orchestra would not be happy. They would want you to get an appropriate whistle for the key signature.
This is Folk Music. You do it by ear. If it sounds right it's right. :thumbsup:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Playing high (second octave and up) may be good in situations where one needs extra volume. Playing in G from second octave up on a low G whistle is a lot louder than playing in G on a high D whistle. And if you need the extra volume to play music in C a low G whistle can be great. To learn to play a melody in G on a high D and a low G whistle is also great for your musical brain. Same goes for playing a tune in C on a high C whistle and a low G whistle. Same goes for playing the same tune first with base as XXXXXX and then with base as XXXOOO on the same whistle, but that is transposing, and I know NOT your question! Just the skill is the same.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

cutterpup wrote:Soooo, being faced with my music in the key of G and using my G fingerings which is usually done?
Whatever's contextually appropriate.
Which I might do for a nice slow air where I don't need anything lower.
But it's not the only difference...
Because (quite apart from the lower extension you've mentioned) you might want the feel and effect of different fingerings for the same notes, eg to facilitate cuts, strikes, rolls, slides etc. that aren't practicable on the other whistle (try rolling round a OXXOOO C or even OXXXXX D on your D whistle, then the equivalent overblown XXXOOO or XXOOOO on your G whistle)!
Innocent Bystander wrote:Again, this is something you would only consider if you play exclusively by the dots. I'm not even sure what you're saying.
See my answer to this one? (Not dot-specific!)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

I'd play it whichever way let me play the most notes.

If the tune was between G and G in one octave I'd probably learn it in the lower octave and perform it in the one it works best in.
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

Thanks to all who responded. You have helped me open up to ways to enjoy my G whistle and still not be "off key" to others I may be playing with. 9 tunes out of 10 that my group plays are jigs or reels in either D or G. These I play using my D whistle. For the slower, more mellow songs, I've been using a tenor recorder. I'm looking forward to using my G for some of these now. Espicailly since I learned in the other thread that my G played as a D will actually be in C. :)
Judy and The Cutterpup
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

cutterpup wrote:Espicailly since I learned in the other thread that my G played as a D will actually be in C. :)
If you're playing a tune in 'written G' (ie with XXXOOO as doh/tonic/home)!

Master of nine?
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
cutterpup wrote:Espicailly since I learned in the other thread that my G played as a D will actually be in C. :)
If you're playing a tune in 'written G' (ie with XXXOOO as doh/tonic/home)!
Whoever schedules the intervention for Cutterpup, count me in. Clearly it's coming ...and soon. :D
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Intervention?

Master of nine?
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

JTC111 wrote:Whoever schedules the intervention for Cutterpup, count me in. Clearly it's coming ...and soon. :D
:o Hey I'm done and gave my thanks..notice I did not ask about the T word. I got some really good advice to ponder on the various hows and whys the G whistle might be used. Even better, I really think that I understand it.
Judy and The Cutterpup