Gratitude for all whistle makers....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wilsing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Gratitude for all whistle makers....

Post by Wilsing »

We all have that 'favorite' whistle..... or more than likely, those 'favorite' whistle(s).
I love my O'Riordan Concert Whistles, my Sindt High E Flat Whistle, my Humphrey Stealth
Whistles, my Burke High D Session Whistle. It came to my mind today as I played them, how
grateful I feel towards the makers of these beautiful instruments.
I want to express my appreciation to the those makers that I mentioned. I want them to know
how much I value their work and that their instruments have helped me through some very
tough times in my life.

Perhaps some of you feel the same way about your whistles and the makers of your instruments
When one thinks about it, there really are not very many men and women out there, who make
that beautiful instrument that we all love to play, The Irish Whistle.

THANK YOU TO ALL THE MAKERS OF THIS BEAUTIFUL INSTRUMENT

James
Last edited by Wilsing on Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jiminos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Gratitude for all whistle makers....

Post by jiminos »

Second that! My favorite whistle is my Oz Vambrace. What an incredible whistle. I've communicated with Mitch several times. There is a Vambrace C (and maybe another D) in my future. His craftsmanship is superb!

This is true of all the whistle makers.... Without their work, where would we be?

To add to the list: Thank you Mitch. Thank you, Carey Parks, Thank you to the Kelischek's at Susato. Thank you, Mr. O'Brien. Thank you, Jerry Freeman. And.... for all the many hours of pleasure from my Feadogs, my Generations, my Dixons, my Clarkes.... thank you to all of the folks that make those whistles happen, too.

be well,
jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
riverman

Post by riverman »

Hear! Hear!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

Thanks as well to the original Mr. Clarke who pioneered mass produced whistles and made them availible to humble folks to play popular music.
Whistle are still the great value music instrument of all time.
God bless and keep you all.
Lancelot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lancelot »

I second all those mentioned, and add Tony Dixon as well.

An especially big thanks, as Maki said, to Robert Clarke, whose original design is still astounding for its simplicity, not only of the whistle itself, but in the type of low-tech tools that could be used to make it, and for its lovely distinctive sound. Of all whistles, it seems the most like an elemental, living thing, a friend and familiar.

uh... sorry for waxing what may be overly poetic. :)
nah, I'm not sorry for that, really; it's what I do. :D
killthemessenger

Post by killthemessenger »

I'd like to thank the cavemen who made the original bone flutes, using nothing more than sharp pieces of flint. And the animals who so generously donated the bones. And let's not forget God, who made it all possible. Thank you!
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
Lancelot

Post by Lancelot »

^^^^ :) Those cavemen were geniuses. I guess they had to be, just to survive. Smarter than us, I'm thinkin'.
killthemessenger

Post by killthemessenger »

Well, squirrels do pretty well, but I wouldn't call 'em geniuses exactly. They can't even remember where they hide their nuts.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
riverman

Post by riverman »

Lancelot wrote:I second all those mentioned, and add Tony Dixon as well.

An especially big thanks, as Maki said, to Robert Clarke, whose original design is still astounding for its simplicity, not only of the whistle itself, but in the type of low-tech tools that could be used to make it, and for its lovely distinctive sound. Of all whistles, it seems the most like an elemental, living thing, a friend and familiar.

uh... sorry for waxing what may be overly poetic. :)
nah, I'm not sorry for that, really; it's what I do. :D
I like poetic.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

I'd like to add my thanks to Guido Gonzato, for promoting the idea that each of us can make a musical instrument that becomes our own personal favourite.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

[quote="killthemessenger"]I'd like to thank the cavemen who made the original bone flutes, using nothing more than sharp pieces of flint. And the animals who so generously donated the bones. And let's not forget God, who made it all possible. Thank you!

Thanks for that. I'm still chuckling. :lol: :lol:
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

For all the extra effort and goodwill he's put into my DX203s (which now number four at two Ds and two Cs), I just have to join you in thanking Tony!
An especially big thanks, as Maki said, to Robert Clarke, whose original design is still astounding for its simplicity, not only of the whistle itself, but in the type of low-tech tools that could be used to make it, and for its lovely distinctive sound.
But afraid you can keep Robert Clarke...
Of all whistles, it seems the most like an elemental, living thing, a friend and familiar.
Because I just can't identify with any of that!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Lancelot

Post by Lancelot »

Peter Duggan wrote:
For all the extra effort and goodwill he's put into my DX203s (which now number four at two Ds and two Cs), I just have to join you in thanking Tony!
Four?! Yikes, you're pulling ahead of me. I only have one D and the one C that I added since starting that thread about getting the D. [I got a 005, too, that plastic one with the brass tuning slide. Same head, pretty much, as the 203. Sounds some different but good, a bit more puff required in the second octave.]

As to your lack of resonance with the Clarke Originals, well, we all have our own resonant frequencies. Just the way it is.

To Riverman: Thanks! :)
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Special thanks to Michael Copeland: I am still in awe of the fine High D I received earlier this year, and to Colin Goldie: someone must have sprinkled magic dust in your new workshop, my new Low and High D's are amazing.
Peewit

Post by Peewit »

killthemessenger wrote:I'd like to thank the cavemen who made the original bone flutes, using nothing more than sharp pieces of flint. And the animals who so generously donated the bones. And let's not forget God, who made it all possible. Thank you!
Some of those bone flutes were made from bones of conquered enemies, according to flutist Trevor Wye. :o

May I second the thanks to Colin Goldie and to Jerry Freeman!!
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings