New Low whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ed Harrison
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New Low whistle

Post by Ed Harrison »

I would like to have a low whistle. I have a very good Burke D session whistle.

But I would like one play plays more mellow and with a smooth tone. Not a low D, I tried one of those and did not like it.

Any suggestions on say a B or B flat. Not so much concerned about playing it with others since I have the D whistle.

I'm not that familiar with F and F# or A but they may be suitable for me too.

I appreciate any help / comments you can offer.

Thanks in advance....... Ed
BigDavy

Re: New Low whistle

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Ed

If it is for pleasure only, then I would go for a low F whistle - especially if you enjoy slow airs.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
rosehebrew

Post by rosehebrew »

I really love my alto A and G. I use them all the time playing with the band and often get comments from other musicians about how great they sound. I play Ethnicwind altos. I think they are very breathy, have good sound but I do have more clogging that I like but I have learned to deal with that. It seems to me with whistles, what you gain in one area may cost you in another...hence the quest for new whistles or maybe it is just that whistle players are a little odd and just love the different timbres. :-?
The musicians that didn't know music could play the best blues. I know that I don't want no musicians who know all about music playin' for me. Alberta Hunter
JTC111
antispam: No

Post by JTC111 »

Let me use your ears for an hour or two and I'll tell you which key you like.

This is such a subjective (there's that word again) question I can't imagine how anyone's opinion could possibly be useful to you. I'd suggest the best thing to do is listen to clips on whistle makers' sites and/or get on youtube and start listening to other folk play in various keys and decide for yourself what key is pleasing to your ears.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Latticino
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Latticino »

Bb is often described as the "gateway drug" for low whistles. Why not pick up an inexpensive Generation Bb (or even better, one that Jerry Freeman has tweaked) to see if you really prefer playing a low whistle, or are just intellectually interested in it?

While I love the sound of the low whistles, I haven't found a low whistle yet that I enjoy playing as much as my flutes (embochure is more of a challenge, but for some reason fingering on a horizontal plane is easier than in the vertical - or maybe it is just that the flutes are conical and so have smaller toneholes at better spacing). I find I have a better dynamic range on the flute as well. The ergonomics for playing low whistle are strongly affected by the key chosen as well as the overall whistle design (cylindrical vs conical, fipple style...). I found that I can easily switch between a high d whistle and a Bb, but going down to a low D is something else entirely. Of course I haven't tried a conical low D yet, so that might change things.

You might even want to investigate other options, as mentioned by others, for playing more "mellow and with a smooth tone". If you are just looking for a more mellow sound, a Clark original in C is a good option. You might also look at Shaw whistles, or maybe something by Mack Hoover.

Good Luck
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
learnthegrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by learnthegrip »

I love my Burke B-natural composite whistle. It has a sweet, sweet tone, is very responsive, and very comfortable in the hand. Getting it, though, did lower my resistance, so I now have a Burke low-F as well.
Was that a groan or did I hear the Dingle bagpipes Wasting war and?
Finnegans Wake
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

While you're making up your mind on key and characteristics, there's no point in spending serious whistle money just yet. I'll second the vote for a Freeman tweaked Gen Bb in nickel or brass. He also makes a great A as well with a custom body and a Gen head. Both are really nice instruments from a really great guy. I like the nickel personally but that's strictly personal preference based solely on my idiosyncrasies.

If you want a great low key, get an F from someone. I can play it without using pipers grip because I've got gigantic hands but you will want to learn this grip if you are going low anyhow. If you don't have a lot of money to experiment with get Guido Gonzato to make you one.

If money is no option, you've just got to figure out what you want in sound, fit and other characteristics. There are so many good whistle makers on this board you will find whatever you desire.
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Ed Harrison

Post by Ed Harrison »

Thanks for all your comments.

Please keep them coming. I am learning a lot.

Thanks...... Ed