Grey Larsen, Bryan Crow workshops in St.Louis

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mikemullins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mikemullins »

Mississippi River Celtic Music Festival in St.Louis, MO, March 28, 29, 30, 2003. See http://www.tionol.org for details.
DanD

Post by DanD »

Just wanted to bump this and remark that last years festival was very well run, and the evening concert was simply INCREDIBLE!! Go if you have a chance!!
Without music, life would be an error. - F. Neitzche
JayMitch

Post by JayMitch »

So, is anybody out there (besides me) planning to attend?

If you are not familiar with this event, it's a lot more than a whistle workshop. Check out the link to the website.

Grey Larson is a fine teacher. He's teaching the advanced workshop this year after having done the intermediate for the past couple of years at least. It should be good.
DanD

Post by DanD »

I'll be there - I just haven't decided which workshop to take!
(Anybody know if Mike Burke is going to be there?)
Michael Burke

Post by Michael Burke »

Hi,
I will be there with a large bag of goodies.
See you there!
Mike
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

How good does one have to be to attend the intermediate workshop? ie: would a beginner benefit?
McHaffie
antispam: No

Post by McHaffie »

I went year before last... I think ANYONE should be able to benefit, even beginners, in the intermediate, and even the advanced, by simply watching and learning. Being a beginner, you may or may not be able to participate, but the sessions seemed very open minded and helpful.I personally was not able to attend the workshops, but by gosh, if I can get up there this year... you better believe I will!!! :grin:

I am definately going to do my very best to be there this year!!! :smile:

Take care all,
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
JayMitch

Post by JayMitch »

On 2003-02-20 10:58, Michael Burke wrote:
Hi,
I will be there with a large bag of goodies.
See you there!
Mike

Mmmmm. Goodies! Mmmmm.
JayMitch

Post by JayMitch »

On 2003-02-20 11:14, mrlester wrote:
How good does one have to be to attend the intermediate workshop? ie: would a beginner benefit?
I attended the intermediate workshop two years ago (with Grey Larson) and the advanced last year (with Larry Nugent). Based on that experience, I would attend the intermediate workshop unless you are really an *absolute* beginner. If you know which holes to cover for which notes and can play a few tunes, even slowly, you should do fine in intermediate. If you can play a few jigs and reels more-or-less up to tempo and have some reasonability ability to learn a tune by ear, go with the advanced.

Also, the whole thing is pretty loose and relaxed. You could probably talk about it with the teacher at the start of the class and move if you decide you are in the wrong place.

(Of course, the teachers will be different this year, so...)

Just one opinion. Any others?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JayMitch on 2003-02-20 14:55 ]</font>
dd

Post by dd »

I will be there. I took the workshop last year with Grey Larson. Great teacher. The only problem is there is a REALLY big jump between the beginner and the intermediate class. But everyone was very nice and relaxed. Hope to see some C&F's there.
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

I will be in St Louis that week visiting from Toronto..I would like to try and get there....I am staying with a friend in St Charles,,is that anywhere reasonably close to the location?

I am a bit confused..the schedule shows both morning and afternoon workshops and lists two whistle workshops,,are they likely to be at the same time?

And Mike, what do you mean by a bag of goodies? Will you have whistles for sale?
JayMitch

Post by JayMitch »

On 2003-02-22 13:04, Lizzie wrote:

I am a bit confused..the schedule shows both morning and afternoon workshops and lists two whistle workshops,,are they likely to be at the same time?
Each level meets twice - morning and afternoon. The afternoon sessions are continuations of the morning sessions -- you go to both. You can't go to both beginners and intermediate (for example) because they meet at the same time.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

On 2003-02-22 13:04, Lizzie wrote:
I will be in St Louis that week visiting from Toronto..I would like to try and get there....I am staying with a friend in St Charles,,is that anywhere reasonably close to the location?
Looks really good for me being able to make it this year. If so, I'll probably stay with my sister in O'Fallon, whish is just a few minutes west of St. Charles. It's a fair distance but an easy drive. Depending on which session/concert/workshop you're attending, it's a simple shot down interstate 70 to either I64 or I44 and in from there. All the venues are right offf the main highways so finding stuff won't be tough.

All I'll be doing, though, is the beginner's whiste workshop and concert.

Mike Burke - once we're down there, how do we find you? St. Looie is a purty big place.

(edited to correct inadvertent spelling errors. the deliberate one was left alone)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chuck_Clark on 2003-02-22 18:02 ]</font>
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

A couple of questions for those of you who have been to this in the last few of years: How many people are usually in the Intermediate and Advanced Whistle and Flute classes? How quickly do the classes fill-up?

Also curious to hear what John Skelton's Intermediate/Advanced Flute classes are like, as well as Grey Larsen's classes.

Thanks,

Loren

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Loren on 2003-02-23 07:59 ]</font>
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Well, I am going to be there...my friend has offered to drive me.

I now don't know which workshop to choose...Int or Advanced..I have been playing 1 1/2 years, I have a number of tunes under my belt, can keep up at a slow session...anyone have an idea?

Why is Grey LArsen such a good teacher?

Hope to meet some C and F folks there.